Re: Painting brake calipers

At 8:47 pm -0800 10/3/99, Paul Maione wrote:
>What I would suggest is just sand them down a bit, and
>go out and get Super Heat Resistant paint. I'm not sure
>how much they go for, can't be that much... Should look
>all good.

I dunno about powdercoating them.  I've never torn down a caliper before,
so I can't really say for sure whether or not they'd be safe to powdercoat.
However, I just got new brakes myself, and I painted my calipers.  They
were a hideous shade of orange, so I took a wire brush to them and ground
the old paint and grime off.  Followed that up with a good scrub with some
brake cleaner to get the grease off.  Finished by wiping them down wiht a
product called "tumbler" that removes everything (ie silicon) that regular
solvent doesn't.  Masked off the rubber seal around the piston and sprayed
them with a nice iron-colored paint.  Looks killer.

BTW it goes without saying that you'll want to take the calipers off the
car and then split the caliper from the carrier, take out the pads, guide
pins, etc.  And then obviously you'll need to bleed the fronts when you
bolt everything back in.  And equally obviously you'll want to avoid
letting shit get anywhere near open brake lines/bleeders/etc.

HTH!