re:Greg Raven's new book

Hi ya and welcome to the list.

---Nick <nfrack@teleport.com> wrote:

> Hi all-
> I'm a new subscriber. This list is the closest one I could find for what
> I'm looking for. I have an '87 GLI that I want to modify.

That must be because most all of us are gung-ho wrench slingers I presume?
:)

> Called New Dimensions this morning to order Greg Raven's new book and
> they talked me out of it. The guy said it was almost the same as the old
> one (mostly same pics,etc.) except a little bit of A3 stuff and that I'd
> probably be disappointed.

The rest of us probably won't be as most of us don't have/haven't seen
the first book.  I'm glad to hear that the A1 coverage wasn't cut down to
a minimum.

> Over the years I've had a '76 Rabbit, '78 Scirocco, '86 GTI and now my
> current Jetta that I've had about 5 years.
> Has anybody put the 1.8T in an A2? That's what I'm thinking about and
> wondering how much trouble it would be. Any responses would be greatly
> appreciated.

I hear that one of the East Coast tuners (maybe it's Shine Racing Services)
is stuffing a 1.8T into a Mk2 Scirocco.  should work in your A2 also if
that's the case.  Trouble?  More so then your 'average' engine swap (is
there such a thing?) due to complex electronics, turbo & intercooling
location/plumbing.  I think if I were you, I'd be worried about expensive,
although a 1.8T wouldn't need the rebuild work that a typical 2L 16v
does at this point in time...hmmm, tough call.  I've easily got 3-4k
into my 2L 16v rebuild, I bet you could get everything you'd need for
a 1.8T swap for not much more.

> Thanks,
> Nick

Later.