boo hoo, clutch is dead

Yesterday my clutch decided to die on me (or so I think).

It feels like it just does not disengage. I checked the clutch cable and
it is tight. Earlier in the day, I heard a medium sized -crunch- as I
pressed the clutch in. Following this, there was a rattling noise (like
something broke off and was rattling around as I revved the engine) and
also shifting became difficult, but not impossible. Later, the difficult
shifting went away, but noise remained. Then in the evening, it just
stopped working. I went to shift into first and it would not go in any
gear. I turned the engine off, put her in third and started her up. As
soon as I turned the ignition (even though  the clutch pedal was all the
way down) the car jerked forward. I got her going and used clutchless
shifting to get home.

My questions are:

Is the problem the clutch or somewhere else in the transmission (throwout
bearing, maybe)?

How difficult is it to pull out the tranny? My trusty bentley makes it
sound like a time consuming and pretty difficult job.

I'm also dripping oil (slowly) from the bottom of the bellhousing. I'm
thinking the rear main seal is bad. How hard is it to replace this if
the tranny is already out? What special tools are needed?

Any tips of advice to get me through yet another few days without my
rocco?

TIA

Jonas
85 Scirocco