No Subject

>From: Aaron <catacomb@psu.edu>
>

>I have a question that's going to sound really stupid.
>
>It's purely cosmetic, but is it reasonable to make a removable hatch?
>have a rear wing mounted on the hatch right now, but I'de like the
option
>of having the car look more 'stock' with the original rubber factory
spoiler.

>It doesn't seem like a very difficult task at all (mount some sort of
shaft
>on the body of the car, and hooks on the hatches.. both at original
hinge
>locations), but I'm sure I'm missing something.  The drawback is that I
>don't think there would be any way to keep using the lifters if I make
the
>two hatches 'swappable'.
>
>Any thoughts..  aside from it being a stupid idea ;)
>
>Thanks
>
>-Aaron
> 84 8V

Ill help you brainstorm on your stupid ideas...

Didja ever see a  bug decklid? There's a hinge with a pin thru it. If
you cut/drive the pin out and install a slightly thinner cotter pin, you
can have a removeable decklid that works fine.

You could do that, and for the pistons...
there's a little clip holding them on right? (its been a long time since
Ive seen the back of a rocco) Take the clip off and drill a little hole
thru the pin. Put a little cotter pin thru it to secure it.
 When you want to take it off, pull the 4 cotter pins, and viola- no
hatch!

The next problem would be convincing your friends to help you get that
900lb-solid-lead-weight-hatch off the back of the car....

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus
58 Type1 Ragtop