RE: Wiring is fun... sometimes/ ok never...

this sound like a classic case of bad ground.  run a separate wire directly
from the dash ground connection to a screw on the firewall, preferably a
spot that you've sanded the paint off of.  all that wack stuff happens when
those little electrons are trying to find a path of least resistance to
ground, which is usually the ground wire, but if that's bad they end up
going through other electrical components in their quest for home.

chris
86 16V scirocco