Re: Wheel noise

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 01:01:52AM -0500, Rich Deede wrote:

> I visually inspected the beam but didn't really notice anything. Would it
> actually look bent or should I do something more scientific to check it
> out?

quick and dirty way:

You can get a rough quick idea if the axle beam is bent by doing this:
Stick a finger between the top inside edge of the tire and the spring.
compare this distance to the same area on the opposite side of the car.
This'll give you a quick check if the camber is out of whack, most likely
due to a bent stub axle. Then put 2 or 3 fingers between the back of the
tire and the corner of the wheel well, and compare to the other side. if
it is too small on the side you hit, you most likely have the toe-in
screwed up, due either to a bent trailing arm or stub axle.

Dan