Re: Wheel noise

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 22:57:06 -0500 (EST) Rich Deede <rdeed@UDel.Edu>
writes:
>Now do I need the special wheel bearing pulling tool to do the rears?
>I looked in the Bentley and it didn't look like I needed it.  But it did
>mention something about a press.  What is this about? And since I don't
>have access to a press, is there any alternative to this?  And finally,
>how hard are the rear wheel bearings as compared with the front?

I just replaced my rear bearings today. 20 minute job. All you need is a
punch and a hammer to press out the old races, and you can either use the
old races to hammer on while pressing in the new races. If you look
inside the drum, (you will need to clean out some of the grease to see
what im talking about.) you will see there are 3 notches cast into the
drums. (rear discs are the same.) This is where you can get the punch
onto the races. Tap, move, tap, move, tap, move, tap, move, tap, move.
Just keep working it until they come out. Installation is in the opposite
as removal. Don't forget to pack the bearings before you install them.

Are you sure you didn't bend the rear axle beam? If you hit it hard
enough to bend a wheel, im willing to bet 16VJason shaves his head that
the axle is bent too.

I had an encounter one night in an empty parking lot testing tires when I
hit a patch of sand at the end of my test session, (it was my cool down
lap) slid into the curb. Both the  front and rear impacted the curb. The
rear took the brunt of the impact. It bent the axle and the rim and also
bent the rod on the shock. Almost rolled the car.

Im my case, the axle beam was obviously bent but I know a few people (No
names) who were doing dumber things than I and later discovered that the
axle was indeed bent.  : )

Anyways, something worth looking closely into if you haven't already done
so.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and