Re: heel-n-toe

On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 23:24:14 PST "Jorel Jackson" <kondor77@hotmail.com>
writes:
>Shawn brought up the heel/toe technique in response to a post about down

>shifting. I've been aware of this manuver for years. I've read about it,

>and have even tried it. I think it takes more practice.

It takes TONS of practice to do it right, do it smooth and figuring out
how to keep braking pressure on the brake while leaning over and blipping
the throttle without adding or subtracting brake pressure is very
difficult in a car that you sit up in, and not lay fairly prone. (You try
twisting your ankle as to put your heel on the brake, and toes on the gas
pedal. Taint easy.)
Ive described in the past that I use a modified version for which I call
"Big Toe, Little Toe". (No native american reference intended.)

>Still no one has
>ever described it very well to me. Could someone describe the correct
>method and when you use it? I have tried it on twisty roads when there
>is no one around, except for that cop one time.

You don't need to be alone to use the heel-n-toe method. Its not
dangerous unless you get confused as to what your doing in which case,
you should convert to RF braking and be safe until the opportunity to try
the heel-n-toe method safely comes again.
OK, so the game plan is while under braking, you want to downshift and to
do so smoothly and as to not shock the entire drivetrain, you blip the
throttle while you clutch and downshift. Works best from say freeway
speeds on offramps. Brake a little later and try it. Well, not too much
later but you know what I mean.

Now I use a different method. My feet don't like to twist like they
should the way I sit in the car. My knees are bent so twisting my ankle
is pretty much not gonna happen. I put my big toe on the brake (I have
pedal covers modified to sit fairly close together so this works for me.)
and my little toe hovers over the gas pedal. While im braking, I roll my
foot over and blip the throttle with my little toe. Shoes are important
as some don't allow enough flexibility (Like NEW shoes.) to allow this
manuver. (As I found out one autox with my new Nike's. RRgh.)
That's the gist of it. it does 2 things. It helps with braking (If done
right.) and it puts you into the gear which will allow you to power out
of a turn or whatever. You can practice it all the time too.
Maybe I can get my recorder to work and I can tape a few heel-n-toe
downshifts for ya. LOL!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and