Re: heel-n-toe

At 23:24 01.03.99 PST, Jorel Jackson wrote:
>Shawn brought up the heel/toe technique in response to a post about down
>shifting. I've been aware of this manuver for years. I've read about it,
>and have even tried it. I think it takes more practice. Still no one has
>ever described it very well to me. Could someone describe the correct
>method and when you use it? I have tried it on twisty roads when there
>is no one around, except for that cop one time.
>
>JSJackson '85 Scirocco

Hi,

the main idea is to avoid understeering - especially on surfaces like snow
and mud the car tends to go straight even if you turn the wheel, now a
little touch of brakes, with left foot or otherwise, helps the car turn.
And of course if you want to drive like rear-drive cars, you can use it.
The main point is - less you use it, faster you go. Just sometimes if you
don't use it, you'll be off the road. And to answer exactly when to use it
- whenever you feel that the front wheels have lost traction. For "fun" you
can use it in any curve, but you only lose rear end traction and some seconds.

Someone will most definately ad/correct sth,

regards,
Arno
'86 scirocco, crashed totally - reason: having too much "fun" with left
foot breaking
'99 golf, until i get a new scirocco