Speedometer is 7Mph off

This may be directed at Brett, Mr. Speedo Man (looks good in tights???), but
please feel free to jump in if you have an idea...

My 140Mph (16v) speedo is running something like 7Mph too fast. It seems to
be a constant 7Mph, meaning that it is too fast at all speeds, not getting
more outa-whack the faster you go. I don't think that anything was ever
messed with on this car, so I don't think it's the wrong gear. Also, if it
was the wrong gear, it wouldn't be a *constant* 7Mph, right? Is it possible
that my needle is just pushed off slightly? Is it mounted on a spline that
could be repositioned a tooth or two?

Neal