Re: Speedometer

>Hey, does anybody have an extra speedometer (140mph/for 16v) lying
>around that they would want to sell?  The only thing is that the
>odometer MUST work.  My odometer is busted and I think it would be cool
>to track the miles on my car.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Josh Strait

I'll be getting back to you in another email on your new gauge faces...
thanks!

But in the meantime...about your odometer.  What you're experiencing
is fairly common.  A small gear at the end of the odo number shaft
is slipping because it's either not tight enough, or it's cracked and
slipping.  When you take apart you're cluster to apply the gauge
faces you'll see what's up.  If it's not cracked, you can tear it
down, knurl up the metal shaft with some vicegrips (to give the gear a
little bite) and this'll fix it.  I've done this exact fix several
times.  There's a write up on this on Jan's VW page:
http://www-pal.usc.edu/~jan/cars.html under the body section, it's
called speedo_fix.txt.

Welcome to the list btw! :)

==Brett