Bentley procedure question

ok based upon the advice of a few listers, I am going to check out my cold
start valve and thermo-time switch first to locate the source of my cold
start problem.  I read how to test these two things in the Bentley, and I
was wondering if someone could clarify or put in to dummy terms a couple
of the procedures for me.
First question is, for both parts it says to disconnect the coil wire from
the center tower of the distributor cap and connect it to ground using a
jumper wire.  What does this mean connect it to ground? Just the negative
battery termnal or the chassis?  And what the hell is a jumper wire, do I
have to make it or can I buy one?

Second question is it says to actuate the starter.  This doesn't mean to
literally start the car does it? What do I do here?

Thanks the help with these simpleton questions,

Rich Deede
University Of Delaware (Communications)
1987 Scirocco 16v