Re: Fuel Problems

Ian Jones wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I've only just joined and this is my first post, so apologies if this
> subject has been covered before. I have a 1987 scirocco which keeps
> hesitating/cutting out when the fuel level is below half way  - The
> fuel strainer seems to be clogging up all the time with bits of rust
> from the filler neck - Is there any way to cure this without having
> to replace the fuel tank - I am on a restricted budget!

Hi, welcome to the list!

Replacing the filler neck is pretty simple, it's held in place with one
screw and a couple of hose clamps, they even make stainless steel ones, but
they're very expensive. The only problem is that the rust that's in your
tank already is going to be a pain to get out! To remove the gas tank you
have to undo your rear brake lines and drop your axle. There might be a way
to flush the tank with it in the car, but it'll never be totally clean. If
you do take out your tank, you can have it rebuilt, they separate the tank's
two halves, clean it and put special coating on the inside then weld it back
together (should be much cheaper than buying a new one).

you should also check the state of your transfer pump, you access it by
removing the back seat cushions and then removing the metal disk that hides
the pump. To remove the pump turn it counter-clockwise. There's a mesh
filter on the pump that you should check for damage.

Does anyone know if there where ever after-market plastic replacement gas
tanks??
..And who was it selling the stainless steel filler necks??

-nigel.
86 Scirocco
85 Scirocco
http://scirocco.psycode.com/