OT: Nopi Event in Ennis, Texas (largely non-VW and long)

Greetings!
Just thought I'd share some highlights from the Nopi Import Drags at Ennis
yesterday.
I attended the event with the guys from Rotary Performance (the Largest
Miata and RX-7 shop in the country), where they were campaigning a '93 RX-7.
The event was dominated (in numbers at least) by the FWD Civic crowd, but
the competition in the RWD import Quick 8 and RWD domestic Quick 8 was much
more exciting (to me).
The Domestic Quick 8 was won by a Dodge Viper with NOS, straight exhaust and
a Haltech engine management system.  His best run of the day was 10.7@
131mph (this car has been in the 9s before).  That car sounded incredible!
The Import Quick 8 final was contested between the RX-7 from Rotary
Performance and a '96 Toyota Supra from Powerhouse Racing.  The Supra won
with the Import FTD and Top Speed: 9.91@148mph.  That is made even more
impressive by the fact that the Powerhouse Supra is a full steel body and
full interior car that was driven to the event.  It is so loaded that it
even has a competition level stereo and video system and A/C.  Recently, on
a chassis dyno it twisted over 800HP AT THE WHEELS, without Nitrous.
I don't remember who won the FWD Import Quick 8, but the final round was run
by two Civics that both ran in the LOW 11s.
The RX-7 from Rotary performance ran a best ever 10.65@129 in the 4th or 5th
round of bracket eliminations.
There were only two VWs at the event, an A3 VR6 GTI and an A4 VR6  GTI.  The
A4 car ran a dial-in of 16.2 and broke out in the 3rd round with a 16.17
(slow car or slow driver?).  The A3 ran a dial-in of 15.3 and was eliminated
in the 4th or 5th round of bracket eliminations.
The ONLY other German car was a late model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo that ran a
best (that I saw) of 12.29@117.  I do believe that this car was largely
stock.  This car was eliminated in brackets by a '90-something Chevy truck!
The truck was not quite as fast, his best run of the day was 12.98, but it
was still a street liscensed, full body, interior and glass truck!  As a
nice touch of humor he had the words PRO FARM shoe polished in his rear
window.
Some other points of interest.
A '98 Toyota 4-Runner that, with the addition of a TRD (Toyota Racing
Development) Roots-type blower and stainless exhaust ran a best time of
15.02!  This was another vehicle with full leather interior and stereo and
A/C.
The Overall FTD was a full tube chassis Mustang that only ran some
exhibition passes.  He ran an 8.37@141(I'm positive he let off about 3/4
track).  Just watching that car launch gave me whiplash.
A '92 Mitsubishi Eclipse that looked dead stock, down to the factory wheels
and full factory interior that ran a low 12, without nitrous.

Overall, and in spite of the lack of representation from European makes it
was a fun day with a lot of good racing.  IF you are at all interested in
drag racing and you can get over the lack of VWs I highly recommend
attending one of these events.  Better yet, go and RACE!  Bracket racing
looks like a lot of fun.

Later,
Aaron