Front end shimmy... Bad inner CV joint?

The basic question:  Will a bad inner CV joint cause a front end
shimmy/vibration?

I've replaced springs, tie-rods, ball joints, strut bearings... in the past
6 months to  1 1/2 years. Things were fine til about two months ago, when
this shimmy/vibration started, and gradually got worse.  I tried rotating
the tires, but the shimmy did not change.  I checked to make sure things
(a-arms, steering rack, ball joints...) were tight.  I kinda expected to
find an a-arm about to fall off, but that was not the case.

While under the car, I found my tranny fluid leak.  Tranny fluid is leaking
from a small hole in an inner CV joint boot.  It's been leaking for a while,
so I'm guessing the joint is toast and causing the shimmy.  I know the outer
joints "click" when bad, but have no clue what the inners do.  Does this
sound like a reasonable theory??

A .75 5th gear and Velocity Stage 2 are coming from Potterman this week.
I'll be swapping out the reverseless 9A for a 4k.  I hope to have this all
fixed and the car back on the road soon.  I've gotten used to driving a
mundane, quiet Nissan hatchback and need my Rocco fix!  It is nice not
stressing evertime I pass a cop though...

Any help/opinions will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Greg :)

Gregory Davis       1985 Euro-spec Scirocco

GAK Motorsports... Your source for German Plates,
country emblems, and more!

Please visit http://www.DriversFound.com