Re: [Q] Drive flange seals

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:03:52 +0100 Ewan Hopkins
<Ewan.Hopkins@computeraid.co.uk> writes:
>I've just done this job.. you don't need the special tool to compress
the
>flange if you have a g-clamp large enough to bridge round the diff case.

Wouldn't that be a special tool you used there? Hmmm...

>Getting the flange back on is the hardest bit - the secret is, when
>compressing it with the clamp,  to do it a little at a time and tap the
>opposite side of the flange from the clamp, to ease it along the shaft,
>otherwise it will stick on the splines.

Well, if you had the right tool, its a simple job and you don't risk the
chance of damaging the newly installed seals.

>The job is probably a lot easier with the proper tool but I don't know
if
>they are expensive.  It would be easy enough to make-up something that
>would do the job.

The tool can be made actually. You just need a "U" shapped bracket with a
hole drilled in the center. Using a length of metric rod and a nut and
that's the tool. When you buy a diff kit from Velocity, they include the
tool. Simple little thing and after you use it enough times it does bend.
Nothing a big vice and a hammer cant fix.

|_i_|    <--- "U" bracket
   |       <--- threaded rod goes thru the bracket.

Thread the rod into the diff. Then tighten down the nut and the tool
presses in on the flange. This allows you to remove the clip. remove the
nut and the flange will fall off the tranny. reinstallation is the same
as reverse only remember to install the clip over the rod so when you get
everything pressed back into place you can install the clip.

Anyhoo. Use what you got but if you can get the tool it will make a much
friendlier job.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and