Re: broken cat

> the rear adapter hole of my cat conv. just broke off where my TT exhaust
>pipe mates up..(sounds pretty mean)..i have been getting quoted ridiculous
>prices for new part. any suggestions from the field, i just moved to san
>diego and have not had car smogged yet, what if any are alternative
>options..also, can i rip that heat shield off, it rattles amd humms and
>drives me crazy.???
>Thanks.
>Rob Schuster (first time caller)
>88 16v

I think there are laws regarding repair of the converters, so unless
you can find someone to weld up a new flange for you, you're going
to have to bite the bullet and buy a new cat.  You won't be able to
get a used one, from a reputable yard anyway, as used cats cannot be
bought/sold (legally anyway).  The heat shield can be removed, it
serves no integral purpose, other then helping not set a field on
fire if you park on grass... :)  The charge for this reply will
show up on your phone bill under 'Misc Comp'.  Call back soon! :-)

==Brett