Re: overboring and powdercoating

Well, lets see:

Overboring

Pros:
more power.  more torque; in combination with increase compression
and a good cam and port matched intake it kicks ASS.

Cons:  COST!  parts, labor, more parts, more labor :)
increased heat load from thinner walls, so more transfer to the
water cooling jacket.  Make sure to get a cooler opening thermostat!
Results vary from machine shop to shop.  Make sure to get GOOD
parts, not cheap-ass junk rings,pistons,etc;
Shop repair becomes more expensive as you now have custom
parts such as rings, pistons, connecting rods, etc.

Powdercoating
Pros:
Looks SWEET!, long lasting, durable finish, available in any color
you can dream of!
I've had some powdercoated parts on cars I've sold over the last
few years.  Buyers ALWAYS get rock-hard when they see that body-matched 16v
intake manifold.  They walk away happy.
But then again there's a local powdercoating place that does
good, cheap work.

Cons:
Hard to find places to do it; hard to get the same color at a vendor with
reproducable results if you mix or off-shade something;
Cost, unless you invest in one of those in-expensive do-it-yourself
kits from uh.. shit, that company in PA.. Starts with an E...
Crap! now I have to go find the damn catalogue...  AH! Eastwood.
The kit is around $150us($200 for what you really "need") to do an
excellent job, plus you need a way to heat treat the parts, such as an old
electric oven.  (I may try this.)  Gee, wonder if you could do a whole car?

FWIW  I have had excellent dealings with them.  I am not associated
with them at all, but the left-handed drill bits and some other stuff
I bought kicked ass. online: http://www.hotcoat.com

Ed