Re: LIFTER TAP HELP ME STOP IT!

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 06:35:16 -0700 "Mark Madison" <markie@proaxis.com>
writes:
>could anyone tell me how to stop my hideous lifter tap.
>it does it when first starting... (which is pretty much normal)
>then it quiets down a bit.. but when the car reaches max temp
>it starts again... intermittantly..  Actually this is on my
>85 GTI 8v (hydraulic lifters) but this information could be
>useful to others.

Sounds like you might have the wrong grade oil. Its getting too thin when
the oil is hot, causing the tap.

It could also be combined with the lifters being tired (read, worn out or
at least nearing the service life.) so it might be worth it to buy a new
set of lifters and being done with it.

I just replaced a set of lifters on an 88 Jetta that I thought the
culprit was likely the 10W30 (in San Diego? DUDE!! come on!) oil he was
using but after the installation of the new lifters, it quieted down to
no sound at all (Gee) and he also claims it makes much more power now.
Possible I guess, if the valves werent being opened enough, it could have
given a performance gain. Whatever works, this might be your ticket.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and