RE: LIFTER TAP HELP ME STOP IT!

People seem to come up with all kinds of tricks and potions to pour into
the engine to stop the tapping.
If it bothers you enough, buy new lifters. Potterman has them for $10
apiece. $80 for all 8 is a lot, but they will last you another 100K
miles. And they won't tap.

Also seems to me, If the valves are tapping, then that means that the
lifters are "spongy", which means that the cam isn't lifting the valves
as high, and in turn that means PERFORMANCE LOSS. Bad, makes me shudder
to think of it. Just replace 'em.

The reason they tap when at max temp is because with the oil that hot, it
is not as viscous and so the oil pressure drops, and the lifters tap. If
you use 10W-30 oil, switch to a higher temp grade. 10W-40 or 20W-50.
That might make it go away for a while.

I've heard of Marvel Mystery Oil working for some. Someone mentioned a
transmission fluid "flush" (at your next oil change, replace one quart
of oil with Automatic Tranny Fluid and run the car for a while (5min??).
Then drain and refill completely with regular oil).

but the ultimate fix is to replace the lifters with new ones.

Jonas
85 Scirocco w/hydro head