Re: More Performance

While you have the tranny out and are replacing the clutch there are a few
things you can do. (I'm going through this w/ my car right now) :)

For the new tranny you can add Redline synthetic fluid (MTL or MT-90, i
forget which, I think the MT-90 is GL4), you can easily make your shifter a
short shifter by modifying the linkage while you're there. There are a few
web pages detailing this w/ pictures.

For the clutch, I'll tell you exactly what I just did. First I had the
flywheel resurfaced, then I had one machine shop lighten it and another one
balance it for me. You can either spend $120 plus core plus shipping for
Velocity's unit(where they take 5lbs off.. I dont believe that), or you can
have the shop machine off the whole weight ring for 40 bucks and pay 25 or
so to have it balanced. The weight ring is the thick part(with hole drilled
in it probably) that's outside of the teeth. It's probably 1.5cm wide and
2cm thick.
The weight ring is usually the part you have to drill holes in to balance
it, so my machine shop had to drill out of the verticle part that is
between the teeth and the hole in the middle. It's kinda had to explain! :)
I haven't installed it yet, so i cant say how much performance I gained,
but to start with, the 210mm flywheel was: 11 lbs (it might've been 13, but
i dont think so)
after the lightening and balancing process it got down to: 8 lbs, about 30%
wieght reduction,(the flywheel is lighter than the pressure plate now!) and
remember that this weight is on the outside of the rotating mass, so it
helps doubly so! Each pound you take off the rotating mass will net you
approx. 2.7 hp (according to unorthodox racing)
8 hp is not bad!!

also for the clutch, I just got a regular 210mm clutch disc and mated it to
a 16v pressure plate(2.0 and 1.8 are exactly the same!) for extra clamping
pressure. I'm planning on using this setup w/ my Turbo, it should hold 160+
horsepower no prob.

At 03:09 PM 6/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi I'm new to the list and also just purchased a 86 Scirocco 8V. I got
>this car very cheap, But it runs good.  It has no fourth or fifth gear
>so I'm replacing the transmission, and while the tranny is out I'm
>putting in a new clutch. My question is what can I do to increase the
>performance? It has a performance exhaust and I will shortly be adding a
>header. What else can be done without tearing down the engine(to far)?
>Thanks.
>
>Ted

Kevin Fry
aka aventari