Re: storage tips needed

** Reply to note from Jorel Jackson <kondor77@hotmail.com> Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:59:20 PDT

  After romping in the sun in summer. my 84 8V (250k+ Km) spends the winter
with a bunch of Corvettes. The owners of that place found that the
suspension took a beating because it is extended when the car is on blocks,
so the owners of the place concluded it is best to leave the car on the
ground and move it from time to time to avoid flat spots on the tires.

   I guess one could get around that if you remove the wheels and place
blocks under the brakes (ouch). Or have solid thin wheels like they do for
Formula One cars, but they move the cars, so this is one less thing for me
to worry about.

  Oh, and the first year, I stored the car in a rented parking space in a
home. The gas tank was not full - and it rusted. The second year, I stored
it with a full tank at the Corvette place, but they do not like the idea of
having that much fuel in storage, suggested instead to leave as little and
put some gas line antifreeze in the tank.

  And last but not least, before storage, I have the car sprayed with some
rustproofing goo, paraffin based (because that is what the spraying place
offers, I did not check if there is something better). I hope to halt the
spread of any rust that way ...

> I've decided to store my '85 Scirocco over the summer, and most likely
> through the winter. I did this once before with an '84 for a period of
> three  years and was not happy with the results. I'm going to work on it
> while it  is in storage. Would like some tips on this, in particular, is
> it a good  idea to put the car on blocks, and if so, where is the best
> place to put the  blocks without damaging the frame. I've gotten advice
> from others. I like to  gather as much as I can, then dicide. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Jorel Jackson

        Jean-Claude