Re: New Scirocco owner

Hi,

I've recently purchased a 1982 Scirocco.  This car replaced a 78 BMW 320i
that had an altercation with a pickup and a bridge railing.  So far I'm
pretty happy with the Scirocco except that it doesn't have much power
(and the electric cooling fan is LOUD, is this normal?).  Does anyone
know where I might be able to find performance data for this car
(acceleration, top speed, MPG, etc)?
TIA.

-Timothy A. Reed, Esq.
yeah, I agree that the 1982 Scirocco (US) is underpowered. The overall EPA rating is 28 mpg (I get 36-40 on the highway).

The engine is 74hp @5000 rpm 90lbs torgue @3000 rpm.

Acceleration for this car was probably about 10-11 0-60.

I believe the factory top speed was about 105 (I don't have my Owners Manual with me). I have done at least this in mine (I installed a 120 mph speedo from an '84 Scirocco).

As for the cooling fan (I assume you mean the radiator fan) - the bearings are probably spent - you'll need a new fan (this is a guess).

Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S
1982 Scirocco
1987 Golf GT
Then there's Kristen's '78 Scirocco
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Previous Sciroccos: 1975 (2), 1981 S (1), 1980 S (1)