Ever broken a windshield from a pothole?

It's been one of those weeks again.

Pennsylvania is famous for its bad roads, but this is rediculous.

Saturday afternoon I decided to take the Scirocco out for a drive since it
hadn't been driven for a week (I had surgery on my right hand following a
dog bite last week so I was confined to my Automatic all week).

So, I'm cruising along with a shit-eating grin on my face, having forgotten
how sweet 7000rpm sounds.  Doing maybe 60mph (45 or 55 zone, don't
remember), and I'm rounding an ever-so-slight right hand bend.  In front of
me all of a sudden I see a grey strip across the road, about 2 feet wide.
Looks like someone dug a hole across the street and filled it in with
gravel.  I brake. Hard. Let go of my brake pedal right before I hit it,
maybe doing like 45?

****BBBAAAAMMM*****

I've never felt such forces in a car without being carried off in an
Ambulance afterward.

My sun visor falls in my face, the sunroof handle falls, and the CD Player
turns itself off.

I pull over to the side of the road.

The casualties:
2 Hockenheim Rs, 15".  Bent slightly at the hub (nasty vibrations)
My 1-year-old windshield.  4" crack where the mirror is glued on.
2 Boge TurboGas shocks.

...and who knows what else.

I went back with my friend who's a photographer for a regional newspaper--
and I'm trying to get these pics published.  Whatever asshole filled in the
ditch didn't put enough gravel in, so it sank, leaving a 2-foot-wide,
4-inch deep ditch.  While photographing the ditch, we saw Jeep after SUV
after full size pickup bottom out over the bump... drivers subsequently
pulling over and inspecting the damage on their cars.

Spoke with PennDOT this morning, and I need to supply pictures of the loss
scene, pics of the damage to my car, and either 2 estimates for repair, or
1 repair bill.

Anyone have any experience with getting PennDOT to pay for being ASSHOLES?

ARGH.