Mk1 on the side of the road

  A couple miles from my house there is an Mk1 Scirocco(I think it's an '81)
broken down, on the side of the road. It's been there for about a month now,
and I figured if somebody loved it they would have towed it home by now. So,
I'm figuring that either it will be seized for a police auction(hm..maybe) or
taken to the junk yard. I probably could buy it pretty cheap. Any ideas on
what I could offer for it? Or who I could contact about it, for that matter?

 Cheers, Adrienne
84 8v Scirocco