Months of hassle-free driving and now this!

Well this will help ground me for a while so that I don't get any more
excessive speeding tickets (3 in a month, last month)...

Anyways here are the symptoms... Remember I have an AUTO which I am about to
replace with a 5-speed as soon as I get the cash so lets hope it's the
tranny!

1. On deceleration (laying off of gas pedal) in any gear except Neutral,
there is a clunking sound which worsens at lower RPM. It seems to happen
when the engine is warm, not when its cold. Acceleration is fine, no loss of
power at all. Clunking continues in Reverse as well.

2. Slight whine at higher RPM... source unknown!

3. Sound of "dripping water" while driving. No leaks besides small tranny
drip. Might this be a sign of shock/strut wear? Original suspension right
now.

Anyways I noticed all of these problems at virtually the same time. I assume
they are all related. In any case, I can play the stereo loud enough to
forget all about them but maybe, just maybe, i should fix them instead.

Somebody suggested my CV joints are gone? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Pete Jacobsen
Awaiting Kamei Airdam -- Money order sent Saturday
Silver 1980 Scirocco 1.8L