Re: More info on my problem!

Dan Brideau wrote:

> Norm,
>
> At 05:13 PM 6/5/99 -0800, takhisis@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >Hello again!
> >
> >One thing I forgot to mention before was that when my car was
> >in power-up mode (the key position before starting the car) my
> >voltmeter was at it's normal position, but when trying to start it it
> >would immediately drop to about half or slightly lower than half
> >of normal.
>
> If your engine turns over, your starter is probably not to blame.  If it turns over too slow, then it acould be your starter.  However, it's more likley it's your battery cables are loose or dirty or not quite right.
>

> >Then when I would drop back to power up mode, the volt
> >needle would tremble and then go back up!
>
> I bet this is normal.  I bet you never looked at that gauge before while starting?  Or if it's not normal it would be a good back up theory for the bad connection.
>

> >Mucho strange, eh?  It occurred to me that this could be a coil
> >problem as well (if my car has one - beats me!), but my
> >girlfriend still thinks that it's the starter.
<snip>
> The real problem as I see it, is if your starter is good, figuring out how to make it seem like your girlfriend had the correct diagnosis from the get-go.  And how whithout her help you could have never figured it out...
>
> >Does this ring a bell with anyone?
> >
> >All the best,
> >-Norm

I'd think he's right on with the loose, dirty, nasty cable thing. You
also mentioned the car didn't want to run for very long.

I'd recondition those cable connections; Both Battery posts, Starter end
of the Hot side, Alt to starter, etc.

Do you want the spiel on the additional/ supplemental grounding for A1
cars?

TBerk
Good stuff about keeping the GF as oracle.