Re: RE: Re: Help!!!

I am currently slogging through about 400 messages so please bear with me on
a reply as i am heading that way but in the meantime you guys kick ass and
are alot of help.
                                   James
                        82 roccin' and smokin' oil!!

>James,
>I read over this and I get more confused. By the left side of the engine
>compartment do you mean the passenger or driver side. The only plastic plug
>that you orginally talk about "between the valve cover and the steering
>shit" is the timing hole above the clutch. (Which is on the drivers side)
>I can't think of any other plastic plug. Are you leaking tranny fluid? Does
>you clutch slip? Maybe you oil pressure switch has blown it only comes out
>when warm?
>
>It is hard to tell with out looking myself. Jonas has it right when he says
>to wipe all the oil off and then see exactly where it is coming from.
>
>HTH
>

>mark hausler
>'81 scirocco s
>'94 toyo 4x4

>Are you talking about a freeze plug?!? These are on the engine block and
>plug the coolant system.
>
>If that is what you are refering to, then you are mistaken, as these
>would leak coolant if they leaked.
>
>I would wipe down the area of the leak, and drive it around, then take a
>look where the fresh oil is at.
>
>the usual suspects are (for 8v cars):
>
>valve cover gasket
>oil cooler o-ring (but you don't have one on your '82)
>oil filter flange-to-block gasket
>oil pressure sender unit on the filter flange
>oil pan gasket
>
>Oh, and BTW, buy a Bentley Manual (The difference is night-and-day from
>the "shitty Haynes") you'll thank yourself.
>
>HTH
>
>Jonas
>85 Scirocco
>

>James Bell wrote:
> >It seems to be some type of plug about the size of a 50 cent
> >piece with a
> >strange cap type look and an indentation that you can stick your
> >finger in
> >about an inch deep...I am obviously new to this and not a
> >mechanic but will
> >be soon as I love this freakin car and am not rich.  Thanx for
> >any and all
> >input...
> >

> >>are you talking about the valve cover gasket, cause there is an
> >odd
> >>plastic plug by the 4th cyl that is a part of the valve
> >covering, like
> >>a circle only the top bit got chopped off??  Check it if the
> >valve
> >>cover is leaking oil comes flying out of there easily, like
> >having the
> >>oil filler cap off, only all the time.

> >mutha
> >said that
> >of the
> >engine
> >but I
> >haynes
> >the

>mark hausler
>'81 scirocco s
>'94 toyo 4x4
> [...]

"If you were happy every day of your life, you wouldn't be a human being
you'd be a game show host"- Heathers