 From: Jonas Karlsson <jkarlsso@metabolex.com>
Sent: 01 Jun 99 12:39:40 +0100
To: James Bell <evilbreeze@hotmail.com>,"scirocco-L" <scirocco-L@scirocco.org>
Subject: RE: Re: Help!!!

Are you talking about a freeze plug?!? These are on the engine block and
plug the coolant system.

If that is what you are refering to, then you are mistaken, as these
would leak coolant if they leaked.

I would wipe down the area of the leak, and drive it around, then take a
look where the fresh oil is at.

the usual suspects are (for 8v cars):

valve cover gasket
oil cooler o-ring (but you don't have one on your '82)
oil filter flange-to-block gasket
oil pressure sender unit on the filter flange
oil pan gasket

Oh, and BTW, buy a Bentley Manual (The difference is night-and-day from
the "shitty Haynes") you'll thank yourself.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco

mark hausler