Re: Locks

GUIDO.DAVID@PALO-ALTO.VA.GOV wrote:

> Max,
>
> I just had all my locks rebuilt and keyed the same this week.
> Cost me $80.!!!  Expensive but the rear hatch needed rebuilding and the
> two door locks were completely different.But now I just need one key.
>
> They needed a good  (not worn) key to do the job right and I didn't have a
> "key code" so I had to remove the ignition lock and get the code from
> there...not hard...refer to the bentley manual. As for removing the
> tumbler from the handle and the handle from the car....all you need is a
> philips screwdriver. Remember to keep a key in the lock when you pull it
> from the handle or all the pins will fall out!
>
> Good luck!
>
> David Guido
> 1980 Scirocco

I too had to get a key made. I lost the only original I had and had no
copies. So I went down to the dealer with the door handle. He took the
code, made a key and ($5.00) off I went. This key made off the door
handle code fits all doors and the ingnition. No need to pull the
ignition. One key fits all. I love it. These cars are so simple. Its
almost a joy to work on them. Plenty of room in the engine. Nothing like
my 16V.

Feenix
80 1.8
88 16V