Re: Free Parts, and an Air Conditioning Question

Michael Ravnitzky wrote:

> Question:  My air conditioning in my 86 roc hasn't worked since I got
> it.  I'm thinking of getting it professionally repaired before I head
> cross country next month.  Does anyone have any advice, or suggestions
> or warnings?  Is it worth it, or will I lose pressurization before a few
> weeks have gone by?  Would A/C repairs last very long in an '86 Roc?
> I've been off the list for a while, so I apologize if you have discussed
> this.

I bought my '86.5 a year ago with dead AC.  I was told it just needed to
be recharged.  Yeah, right.. needed some kind of repair, I forget what now.
I had to decide whether to stick with R12 or convert to R134a.  I went
with R12 - didn't want the lousier cooling capacity of R134a in a system
built for R12, also R12 is now known to exist in VERY plentiful supply,
unlike the false belief about 2-3 years ago that we were going to run
out very soon..

Anyways - I had it fixed right, it works great, my suggestion: suck up for
a proper repair, stick with R12, and enjoy it!

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0