Re: Did I just get ripped off?

Well, I'll be the first to tell you that being a mechanic is NOT the
profession to go into...quite frankly working on other peoples cars
sucks a big fat cuban, an El Presidente...okay, so a slight
exageration, but I got the point across.  That's not too bad of a
price as often times the waterpump bolts will break off in the
housing and can be a major pain to get out, not to mention if you
end up having to take the housing off of the car.  3.5 hrs at about
$60/hr, usual shop rate, comes out to be $210...not too bad.  If
he's a good VW mechanic he'll easily have it done under 3.5 hrs,
but your wet-behind-the-ears techinician will take proably about 30-
45 minutes extra over book time.  It's worth the money to let them
sweat out how their going to get that broken water pump bolt out!!
BTW, I'm presently working at a shop as a full time tech, working
on just about everything but primarily Fords...that's where the
money's at ;)

> >I just took my Scirocco in to the VW dealer and they're charging me $250
> >(US) to change the water pump and timing belt.  Is this a fair price or
> >did I just get screwed?  Seems a little high to me.  I provided the water
> >pump and they're charging me $30 for the belt, leaving $220 in the
> >balance for 3.5 hours labor. I know what profession I should have gone
> >into.....
> >
> >comments?

                   Kris Rayner
                1984 VW Scirocco
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
     "I do nothing in moderation but work."
               -Charles Dickens
   http://www.fix.net/~trzracing/web/scirocco.htm