Re: SCIROCCO: How many made?

At 10:19 AM 7/28/99 -0400, Marc Getty wrote:

>In the 26 days that I have had my Scirocco I have only seen a grand total of
>two
>other Sciroccos. This makes me curious as to how many of these cars were ever
>made. Anyone out there have any production statistics? I know the stats for VW
>Things are widely available, how about for the Scirocco? Also, where were the
>Sciroccos built? Just curious.....

Marc,
The numbers, from Ian Kuah's VW Power and Style pg 89, were 504,000 for the
MkI and 272,000 for the MkII.  The MkII numbers of course include the 16V.
A interesting number would be how many are left?  There can't be many MkI
around anymore.
The Scirocco, along with Cabriolets and Corrados were built by Karmann
Coachworks in Osnabruck Germany.  VW never built the Scirocco themselves,
except for prototypes.

John Worden
Old Town, Maine

'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
'81 Volkswagen Scirocco(Mk1) soon to be 2.0 16V.  The engine is out/
 and all electrical is pretty much done.
'69 MGB- in need of total resoration(needs some front fenders too)