Great Waterfest!

Just wanted to publicly say that I really enjoyed Waterfest with all
the scirocco list members that made it out.  It was awesome, and you
all know who you are. :)  Once again, more then 50% of the fun was
during the day before the show.

Special interest notes:

-Even the most careful VW drivers forget how to drive sanely when
mixing it up with other VW enthusiasts...me included!  I had
smoke rolling off my front tires in a locked brake slide into a
U-turn (on the wrong friggen side of the road) even before we arrived
at the hotel! :)  Things went downhill as the weekend progressed.

-I now have a new superhero dynamic duo to look up to:  Burnt Kid and
Botch Boy.  I'll let you guys figure out whom I'm talking about...

-It's true that I was probably very close to being 'detained' by
the police for getting a tiny little bit mouthy, with a rather
upset policeman...and I _did_ kinda think it was funny... :) Wouldn't
you if someone asked "Just how many other cars that look like this
are there around here?" during a Waterfest weekend?

-It's also true that on the way out of the show, we kinda got too
close to one policeman/cruiser partially blocking the road, and
had to stand on the brakes rather big to avoid the second one
blocking the road a little further down...the one where at least
Ben and Jason got a bit out of shape... screeching tires & all :)
I dare say they looked very relieved that we didn't plow into them.

-As far as _I_ know, no one got arrested, it's just a viscous rumor
that Shawn was trying to spread. (you know we missed you man!)

-I'm still really suprised at taking 1st in Scirocco Modified, I
appreciate all the good words and congratulations from everyone,
thanks again!!  It's probably because Alee helped me detail the
engine compartment in the hotel parking lot the night before the
show.  Probably also due to the fact that at least 5 other very
nice Scirocco's that I've seen at Waterfest before were not
attending this year (The pair of yellow ones from last year,
the show winner from the previous 2 years, Kims 8v to name a few).

-The show costs quite a bit to get into, spectator or participant...
but it is a commercial enterprise...expensive to produce is an
understatement. Realistically, probalby should have been ~$5 less.
Local shows around here cost at least $10 to show, and waterfest is
far more then twice the show IMO.  I'll be going again and again
until something better comes along.

-I'd like to publicly thank Mike Potter for some of the free stuff
he brought (shirts, stickers, hats...) , the fun company, and
for (accidently) carrying my vice-grips & screwdriver back to
California with him. :)  Maybe we'll have to return the favor by
attending the ND show some year, eh?  BTW, someone took my Virtual
World hat!!  I've got to get another one!!

-I also ended up in the Waterfest video, telling the story of my
wife hitting my car just a couple of weeks prior to the show.  In
fact, when I picked up my award at the presentation, I kinda freaked
a little with excitment, and they turned the video on my again...
holding up the trophy, I stated that I'd like to thank my wife for
hitting my car for without her I'd have never gotten some other
parts of the car fixed/painted and the JE Design spoiler wouldn't
have made it onto the car.

-The A1/A2 scene was pretty good...besides the venders, and the other
people I like to see/meet/hang out with, it's the main attraction
for me at the show.  I can't get into the much phatter A3 zone. I
like the Audis, the B cars, some A3's, most A2's, just about every A1...
the mindset of people tuning the later cars is different, I just don't
get it.  One of the big things this year was strobe lights in every
orafice of the car...mostly A3's BTW.  The A1/A2/B cars are mostly
very clean, about performance and looks at the same time...maybe it's
just my impression/opinion...would welcome other peoples views.

-More Sciroccos are needed to show up!!  We've got the best cars VW
ever made, let's show everyone how much we like them!  :) I think
there were only 13 Mk2's and 2 Mk1's.

-The trip home was uneventful except for the Friendly Chrome Shop,
CB joint, Adult Entertainment, and Mobile Chapel all right next to
the most amazing 'truck' stop I've ever been in.  Oh, the colored
red light works great in the interior BTW...

Ok, I've probably got more to say, but It'll have to wait.

later!

==Brett