Problem with GTi tranny

This post is regarding my '89 GTI 16V.  I apologize if you guys like fellow
listers to be in the Scirocco family but I believe I have the same 020 tranny
as the 16V rocco's.  Anyway, when replacing my clutch cable I used a jack to
hold up the clutch release lever and accidentally left it jacked up for 6
hours because I almost had a heat stroke in my garage and waited until the
sun went down.  So when I came back out to my car I noticed the jack and when
I removed it there was no resistance left in the lever.  It can easily be
picked up and held there.  So the pedal just drops to the floor since the
lever won't pull the cable back hard enough.  What is the problem?  The lever
itself?  The release bearing inside?  The pushrod?  Will I have to remove the
whole tranny and replace the clutch or can it be fixed just by removing the
end green cap and fixing what's wrong?

Thanks,
Shawn
'89 GTI 16V