Re: front motor mount?

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:46:55 -0700 (PDT) Michael Leach
<scirocco16v_1@yahoo.com> writes:
>how exactly do you change the front motor mount?  do you have to
>remove both bolts out of the starter?

That's the easiest/preferred way.

>my top starter bolt is partially stripped and I would rather not have
>to mess with it.

Id say REPLACE the bolt when you install the new front mount. Chances are
good that you WILL have to remove either the starter or the mount again
someday. Wouldn't it be nice if you could do it without the hassle of the
stripped bolt. Especially if its a bad starter motor and its raining and
your in the middle of nowhere. Man, what a bad feeling I just got. So,
changing that bad bolt sounds pretty damn good now, don't it? :)

>can you just take out the other bolts and raise the engine with a jack
>just enough to remove the mount.

You could but it would require that you unbolted the rear and side mounts
to let it rotate enough. Its doable in a pinch. Just remember top mark
WHERE the bracket was sitting before you remove it. (It adjusts up and
down. Its placement is important.)

>my GF just said it doesnt seem feasible and she is a master
>mechanic!...so I am probably screwed
>thanks for the help
>later

Its feasible. You know how GIRLS are when it comes to building something.
tisk-tisk. Go knit me some socks while us MEN go fix da kaaa.  :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and