Re: Carb Conversion? Good Idea for rally car?

WaspHwy@aol.com wrote:

> actually, I can get a manifold, two dellorto carbs, the linkage, jets and a
> manual for $350 dollars.

That's really good pricing, I think. Chris? -care to comment? With a $600 set
of Schricks you'll be f*$^king  flying for cheap. But then again, you now just
spent  $1000. Put that into your 16v's cylinder head and you've got an extra
15hp with no other compromises.

> I just asked about this as I know a little more about carbs than I do about
> FI.

I know little about seriously tweaking either other than FI works without any
need for my involvment. I don't bother raising the control pressure, installing
bigger injectors or any of that garbage that our Honda-driving friends have to
worry about. Wait, did I just infer that I have friends who drive Hondas?...

> I saw an article in an old Sport Compact Car about a canadian guy running a
> golf with a 16v motor and individual throttle bodies. said he went that way
> for reliability. just exploring my options

Buddy, that Canadian that you refer to is Mr. John Nichols. He is a really cool
guy and is one of the fastest drivers and most brilliant car builders  that
I've ever had the pleasure to associate with. This guy is an elite-level tuner
to say the very least. Do you want his email?

Here it is: jnichols@total.net

Back a few months ago I was debating whether to purchase a turbo system or a
6-speed transmission for my Rocco. John was the chap that I was going to buy
the trans from. With the exchange rate at the time, it was going to come to a
paltry $1400 or something close. Ask him a bunch of questions and share what
you learn with me and everyone else. John is a god amongst men.

Just keep in mind that he may not have to deal with emissions standards as
stringent as those here in the States. Yeah, what do you Canucks have to put up
with up there in the GWN?

--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut