Re: 1.6L cam in an '84 GTI 1.8L engine?

T Berk wrote:

> Did I get this right? The 1.6 liter cam (say from a '78 Scirocco FI)
> will drop into the 1.8L in my '81 now- with added benefits?

That's right, bruh man. The stock 1.6 cam is in between the 1.8l version and
the G-grind in profile and performance. Do without reservation for an almost
free source of hp.

> What will I need to swap out at the time a cam is pulled? I already have
> a rubber valve cover gasket via Mr. Potter. Are new shims indicated, I'd
> think so.

You definitely must check the clearances and add shims where necessary.

> Might as well replace the cam bearings while I'm at it- Good
> time the get a valve job?

I'd do this only if your head requires it. Does the car burn oil? Any funny
noices?
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut