'84 GTI cold running problem

When I first start my '84 GTI, it runs roughly, almost like it's on 3
cylinders, for about 45 seconds, and then abruptly runs fine. Sometimes
it goes through two stages - the first one, it dies if you put your foot
on the accelerator at all, and then you can hear something kicking in
(another cylinder?) and then it will rev, but roughly, and then, about 30
seconds later, it abruptly runs great.
The engine has great compression.
Do you think it could be the control pressure regulator on the block? The
fuel distributor? Any ideas?
Oh yeah and it always starts immediately, it just runs like crap for 45
seconds or so.
Thanks much,
	Josiah