Exhaust

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but...
I'm going to HAVE to get new exhaust for my '84 GTI soon. It's falling
apart. And I have a manifold-to-head leak from hell. I'm going to be
putting on all new studs at the head, new manifold gasket, Autotech Tri-Y
header (I have it already), tightening up my front motor mount (I think
it's come a little loose again - I have a poly front mount, and it seems
to rattle loose every few months), and then I'll be putting on some
performance-oriented cat-back system right behind the header. Actually it
won't be cat-back because I'm not going to install a cat (yes, this is
legal in my state).
I have two questions. One:
The header that I'm going to be putting in is designed to work with a
cat. Is there any exhaust sytem out there that would work with this
header without a cat, or should I just take a normal cat-back exhaust,
chop a piece out of the part right behind the cat and put in a piece of
straightpipe to make up the difference?
Two:
Which exhaust should I get? These are the things that are important to
me, in order of priority:
1. Performance
2. Price
3. Longevity
4. Noise level (quieter is better)
5. Sound quality (I HATE the SuperTrapp rasp - sorry Daryl : )    )

I really won't be able to spend over $180 on this exhaust, I don't think.
I've been considering TT, Autotech, Eurosport, and Pacesetter. Lots of
people have told me that Pacesetter actually isn't crap, but I wonder how
it performs? Those dual chrome exhaust tips sure look cool, even if the
yellow tape comes off quickly : ) The price is really tempting....
If it sucks and somebody tells me so (and why), then I'm thinking
Eurosport. I've heard of so many fitment problems with TT, and I've
actually experienced some myself, with Joe Oliviera's car - the exhaust
appeared to be made the wrong length, and so two pipes weren't slid
together far enough, and it kept falling apart. Mark @ Adirondack
recommends Eurosport - anybody want to comment on it? What mufflers do
they use? Do they have just one muffler, or a resonator and a muffler?
I'm thinking, actually, that since I'm going to be eliminating the cat,
that instead of putting in a piece of straightpipe to replace the cat, I
might put in a straight-through glasspack to try and cut down on the
noise.
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
	-Josiah
'84 GTI
'87 QSW
http://hamp.hampshire.edu/~wje97