Re: Oh No, problem shifting

At 06:50 PM 7/21/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Well I have had pretty much trouble free use of my rocco for the past four
>years but something bad has started.  Being unemployed with little money at
>the time I really don't need any large expense.
>
>Anyway, I am having a hard time getting the rocco to go into first gear.  It
>began a week ago on and off and now it has become very difficult.  It feels
>like somthing is stopping it from going in the shifter won't move at all
>foward.  The only way to get it in is to put it in second, then Jam it it to
>first realy quick while pushing down slightly.  But It will go in fine 1 out
>of 5 times which is weird. All of the other gears are perfect.  Please help.
>Please!!!!

  I had a similar problem several years ago. It turned out to just be the
linkages from the shifter to the tranny. These are fairly easily replaced,
and aren't that expensive. Do you have a Bentley? If so, the picture on
page 8-8 shows the selector rods, which would be my first guess. They have
a socket on either end. This plastic socket can go bad over time, allowing
too much slop in the shifter. Check them out and see how much slack they
have. When I do this, I get someone to get in the car, and move the shifter
around, while I examine the amount of play in each component of the
shifter. It pretty easy to see if one has way too much play in it. If you
need to replace any parts(or even if you don't) I'd recommend putting new
shifter bushings in. These will really improve how your shifter feels. You
usually get all the bushings you need if you buy a short shift kit(around
$50 or so), or you can get one separately, I think most aftermarket places
carry them.

Brad