Oh No, problem shifting

Well I have had pretty much trouble free use of my rocco for the past four
years but something bad has started.  Being unemployed with little money at
the time I really don't need any large expense.

Anyway, I am having a hard time getting the rocco to go into first gear.  It
began a week ago on and off and now it has become very difficult.  It feels
like somthing is stopping it from going in the shifter won't move at all
foward.  The only way to get it in is to put it in second, then Jam it it to
first realy quick while pushing down slightly.  But It will go in fine 1 out
of 5 times which is weird. All of the other gears are perfect.  Please help.
Please!!!!

Brian 86 16v