Re: Securing the Rear Axle (rusting out!)

>While extracting the springs from the rocco, I noticed that rust has
>developed exactly where the rear axle bolts up.  Can this be fixed or is
>this where I started worrying my head off.  I've already bought a 16V motor
>for the car (of course, I was under the impression that the rust hadn't
>taken the life out of the Rocco).

You should first see how bad it actually is.  This is one of the worst
places for rust but if it isn't bad it can be saved.  The parts back there
can be replaced but it will be alot of work.  If it isn't bad, reinforcing
might be a good idea.

John Worden
Old Town, Maine

'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
'81 Volkswagen Scirocco(Mk1) soon to be 2.0 16V.  The engine is out/
 and all electrical is pretty much done.
'69 MGB- in need of total resoration(needs some front fenders too)