Securing the Rear Axle (rusting out!)

Before I even contemplate continuing in the restoration of my beloved
Scirocco, I need to know whether I can combat the dreaded rust.

While extracting the springs from the rocco, I noticed that rust has
developed exactly where the rear axle bolts up.  Can this be fixed or is
this where I started worrying my head off.  I've already bought a 16V motor
for the car (of course, I was under the impression that the rust hadn't
taken the life out of the Rocco).

What can I do?  Weld and weld and re-inforce or is the car at a lost cause.
 I really don't want to drop a done-up 16V and then realize that the car is
toast.  Any suggestions/comments?  Anyone know of a good welder in the
Toronto area.

Thanks y'all

Sal