Re: alignment happiness

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 Pei-Chung Ting <chungsteroonie@yahoo.com> writes:

>hello good people,
>I just got my alignment done at a local shop @ 1 degree negative
>camber, and it's a night and day difference in feel.  The car starts
>understeering much later.  I just replaced the front bearings so I
>thought I'd be entitled to bash on them a little bit, but from what I
>understand, 1 degree isn't all that much.  The car was set at .5
>degrees negative before.

it really isn't. The stock numbers is -.5 camber which is better than 0
its not as much as it could be for better cornering.

>but I'd rather pay for someone who doesn't give you sh** about your
>tires wearing out (I bought them. . . they should be mine to wear out
>however I want). . .and who knows what they're doing around vw's.

Its hard to find someone who will put the numbers on the car for you. I
ended up doing my own alignment for a year and a half before I stumbled
into someone who would/could do it for me WITH me in the car. He dialed
in -2.7 camber with 1/8th toe out. It completely changed the handling.
Like you, I replaced my front wheel bearings and forgot to finish
tightening the axle nuts. Went to the autox and the right rim rubbed the
strut. Odd I thought. Checked the nut, it was loose. So, went back,
checked the alignment and the toe jumped to 3/16 toe out. Ate the crap
out of the inside edge of the right side tire. Reset it and its good
again.
They tell me that massive -camber doesn't eat tires. I disagree. Since
the outter edges of the tires are only making contact with the road when
cornering, all of the driving force/wear gets laid down to the part of
the tire that IS making contact. Still, ill keep my extreme camber for
now.

>The alignment tweek made a huge difference.

Get real brave and see how much more it changes! :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and