Re: Need your advise here!

Brett P VanSprewenburg wrote:

> Actually (if I remember the assembly correctly) the output flange seal is
> seated by a 6 point hex wrench, post circlip, into the end of the threaded
> output differential shaft.  It's the tapered metal flange/bolt with a
> rubber ring around the outer edge of it so that when you tighten it into
> the end of the diff shaft, it seals itself against the sides of the output
> flange.  As far as I remember, this is what keeps the transaxle oil and
> CV grease from mixing it up.  In short, unless you are putting in the
> Velocity LSD (which would be a GREAT time to do) you don't need the output
> flange compression tool.  However, if you buy the Velocity LSD, you get
> the tool. :)

i didn't have that 6 point hex on mine (my 9A rocco tranny or my new A3 tranny), i
think it's an after-market "upgrade" so that the seal doesn't fly out into the CVs
and get munched up (be careful with that bolt, if it comes loose when your driving
you might destroy the CV).

It all depends where the oil is leaking from, if it's coming from where the CV
meets the flange then you won't need to remove the flange. If the oil is coming
from where the flange meets the diff casing (this is what happened to mine... both
sides) then you'll have to remove the flange with the special tool. When you buy
the new seal it comes in a little "kit" with the other seals, so you may as well do
'em all while you're in there.

oh, don't forget to drain the tranny oil before doing this, or you'll get a nice
oil shower ... and tranny fluid has the nastiest stench!.

> See ya in a couple weeks Nigel. Where's Paul sleeping Friday night?  He's
> staying with me on Saturday as far as I know...I won't be getting to the
> hotel until Saturday afternoon.

i think he mentioned something about sleeping in a ditch on the side of the road...
Paully, you're SOOO burnt!!! but it's allll good :-)

-nigel.
86 Scirocco
85 Scirocco
http://scirocco.psycode.com/