Re: Need your advise here!

---Nigel Heron <scirocco@psycode.com> wrote:

> Brett Van Sprewenburg wrote:
>

> > The output flange seal on the inside towards the differential has failed.
> > This will allow transaxle lube to leak into the inner CV joint,  this
> > tends to really shorten the life of the inner joint as the high pressure
> > grease becomes liquified and runs out.  This also depletes the oil
> > in the transaxle.  Fixing it involves pulling the inner CV joint and
> > replacing the inner seal, pulling the whole axle would make it easier.
> > Special tools required would be an 8mm triple square to remove the
> > inner CV joint bolts, and maybe a 30mm socket for the main axle nut.
> >
> > ==Brett
>
> you'll also need the special tool to pull the flange and some circlip pliers.

Actually (if I remember the assembly correctly) the output flange seal is
seated by a 6 point hex wrench, post circlip, into the end of the threaded
output differential shaft.  It's the tapered metal flange/bolt with a
rubber ring around the outer edge of it so that when you tighten it into
the end of the diff shaft, it seals itself against the sides of the output
flange.  As far as I remember, this is what keeps the transaxle oil and
CV grease from mixing it up.  In short, unless you are putting in the
Velocity LSD (which would be a GREAT time to do) you don't need the output
flange compression tool.  However, if you buy the Velocity LSD, you get
the tool. :)

> The seal is pretty cheap but it does take a long time to do the work. This
> job is a real PITA! 'cause getting the circlip off and getting the new one
> back on takes a lot of practice and patience (especially when lying on your
> back).

Totally true!  I speak from personal experience here too. :)  The circlip
pliers from Sears do work, but you have to sand down the clip 'fingers' a
little bit in order to get them to seat down far enough into the diff to
grab the circlip.  Somewhat a PITA.

> if you ever wanted the Velocity anti slip gizmo now's the time to install it.

Ditto.

> you should fix this soon, 'cause like Brett said you'll ruin your CVs and
> maybe the tranny if it runs out of oil. If you plan on doing it yourself ask
> us and we'll give you more details.

Basically, you're going to be an uphappy camper soon. :)

> -nigel.

See ya in a couple weeks Nigel. Where's Paul sleeping Friday night?  He's
staying with me on Saturday as far as I know...I won't be getting to the
hotel until Saturday afternoon.

(maybe I should just ask HIM...)

later!

==Brett