[tech experience] New muffler/short shift

	Here's the background on my exhaust. Dont worry it'll be quick ;)

	I got the car 6 years ago with a custom bent 2 1/4" system w/ a Dynomax
super turbo on it. Nice sound and fairly quiet. a few years ago the muffler
started rattling, real annoying-like.  It turns out a baffle came loose on
the inside from banging against the spare tire carrier. I've needed a new
muffler for a while now.
--background over--

	The last month I've been researching and stuff, and I ordered a Warlock
muffler that you can uncap and make it an open exhaust. cool, but it was
offset inlet and i need center inlet. I returned it and ordered a Dynomax
race magnum straight-though, but i had to return it cuz it wont fit in our
puny muffler area.

	I found a Magnaflow round muffler that will fit--the smallest 2 1/4" you
can buy. It's a short 4" or 6" diameter straight-through. We're talking
STRAIGHT through. So today the muffler shop welded it on and it works nice!
almost as quiet as the dynomax at idle and cruising, but kinda loud and
"rasberry-like" at high RPMS. Same low rpm power, but a bit more midrange,
and I can easily rev it up to 7k rpm before w/ little loss of torque as
before I would rev it up to 6.5k rpm and the power curve would drop off
_sharply_

	The sound at high RPM is definately NOT astheticly pleasing however, you
know the trademark honda sound-- bees buzzing in the muffler. But when I
look at it from a horsepower-freaks insane point of view, the sound is
music to my ears.
I realized that your not going to make your car sound
powerful/deep(dynomax) at high rpm, have a quiet, fairly muted idle
sound(magnaflo) and then have maximum horsepower/performance. I can settle
with the rasberrys for the performance and efficiency.

Oh yeah! I also had the shop cut the exhaust right in front of the axle and
weld in a flange. They made up a straight pipe that sticks out the side
right in front of the rear tire and supports the exhaust w/ a flange
welding to the frame right there. Its cool! When I get to the drag strip,
all I have to do is unbolt the flange and take out the whole muffler and
rear exhaust (saving weight :) ) and bolt up the straight pipe. I loose the
stupid over the axle pipe and everything. I bet it's gonna be loud though!!!!

-...unrelated tech thingggy..

Over the weekend I made a short shift kit by cutting the 'bushing hole'
part off a spare shift linkage and welding it to the end of my current
linkage. I then welded a 2 lb peice of scrap metal to the relay rod thing.
all I can say is WOW! This was how a German car was meant to shift. If you
dont have a short shift kit, PLEASE make one! Or tell me, and I'll make you
one for a small fee if you really want. I'm just learning welding and it's
good practice :)
whatever you do, dont pay a tuners price for it. way to expensive for what
it is.

aventari
icq#21583385
Protect privacy, boycott Intel: http://www.bigbrotherinside.org