Re: rally/street prep

Dale Witt wrote:

> Would not Bilstein Sport be a better choice than the HD?...(snip)...I was told the
> HD and Sport have the same valving, but the sports do a better job on lowered
> cars.

Well, yeah. You're exactly right. The Sports have a shortened shaft so that they
don't bottom as easily with the shorter suspension travel on a lowered car. However,
an offroad rally car is never lowered. It'll be raised up from stock if anything.

There are camber plates available from OPM Motorsports and VW Specialties that will
relocated the strut attachment an inch and a half higher than stock. Combined with
stock height springs this'll drop the front end by that same 1.5". However, you'll
maintain the original suspension travel length. Combined with a coilover set up that
can raise the car back to stock height and now you've got 1.5" *extra* travel. This
could be the "secret weapon" that I'm looking for -for rally *and* street
applications.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut