rally/street prep

Brett Van Sprewenburg wrote:

> >hello, I have an 84 wolfsburg ed. I want to convert it to rally car specs.
> >first I want to do the susp. are Bilstein HD's available for our cars and
> >what springs should I use? thanks
> If you really want to _go_ rallying, your should talk with Scott
> Williams...

Ah, speak of the Devil and yea shall he appear. Brett has asked a good
question. Do you actually want a *real* rallycar or a street car that handles
bumps nicely at the local rallycross? State your exact intent because a full on
rallycar may not treat you very well on a day to day basis.

Btw, Bilstein HDs are available; I've run them in my car for the last four
seasons. They aren't really rally spec but they get the job done. Perhaps I'll
have them revalved for next season... As for springs, I'd suggest something
like 250/175lbs  front and rear respectively. I've always run the car with
either just a rear bar or no bars at all. Next season I'm going to revert to
the stock set up and see what happens. The front bar definitely limits the grip
on the outsite tire when coming out of a turn. However, I hope to fix that with
a decent limited slip differential. We'll see...

But yeah, let us know what you actually want to create and we'll point you in
the correct direction.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut